* Name: Half Shell
* Location: Mendenhall and Poplar in Memphis, Tennessee
* Open For: Lunch, Dinner
* Under Review: Dinner
* Category: Casual
* Price Range: Medium
* Fare: Seafood
* This meal cost $15 – $30 per person.
* Including tip? Yes
* Including wine? No
* Food Score (out of 10): 7
* Service Score (out of 10): 8
* Reservations: Weekends
* BT Blog Recommends?: Definitely
* Booking Information:
688 South Mendenhall at Poplar (901) 682-3966 or
7825 Winchester Road (901) 737-6755
* Other Information: Website
* Review: I love this Memphis seafood place. It’s a far cry from the tourist-infested places like Rendezvous or anyplace on Beale Street. This is a neighborhood restaurant that is constantly PACKED. That’s usually a good sign. The prices are really reasonable for the large portions and tasty seafood. I’ve eaten several things at the Half Shell and everything has been great. I would recommend the King Crab Bisque (cup – $4.25 or bowl – $6.50) or the Voodoo Shrimp ($12.50). The Swordfish Skewers aren’t bad either.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
This unpretentious place at the intersection of Mendenhall and Poplar feels just like Cheer’s. You would expect Norm and Cliff to sit down next to you at any second. Someone told me this is a pick-up bar for older people. I don’t know if he meant older than me (late 20s) or older than him (early 40s) but if that’s your goal, you could give it a shot. Even if you don’t get a phone number, you can get some great food and drinks. How did I find out about it? The front desk attendant at the Holiday Inn Express nearby told me.
If you’re flying Northwest or you just have a few hours to kill at Memphis International, there is a tiny Half Shell tucked away at the end of the NWA terminal.