I recently received the first ever AT&T Free Message I’ve ever been happy to see:
AT&T Free Msg: Your Apple iPhone now has free AT&T Wi-Fi access at thousands of hotspots nationwide, including Starbucks*. For info visit www.att.com/attwifi.
The message was welcome news, as I travel extensively and the 3G network sucks the battery life from your phone pretty rapidly and isn’t yet dependable in all areas.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
Here’s the process for connecting, as per the AT&T website:
- Activate Wi-Fi from the settings icon on your iPhone
- Select “attwifi” from the list of available networks
- Enter your 10-digit mobile number and check the box to agree to the Acceptable Use Policy. Tap ‘continue’
- You will receive a text message from AT&T with a secure link to the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot. You will not be charged for the text message.
- The SMS link will only be valid for 24 hours at the location it was requested. Another request must be submitted when using another hotspot location.
- Open the text message and tap on the link for 24-hour access to the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot
Sounds easy enough. To find hotspots, you can access the list of AT&T Wireless Hotspots No word on what the charge is (if any) for international hotspots.