AT&T Expanded International Service
AT&T is providing international travelers with more options these days, including expanded voice and data services in better bundles and in more locations. I am a long time AT&T customer, and while I get service pretty much anyplace my travels take me, I very seldom use my phone because of the astronomical costs (like the time I was charged something like $7 per minute in Belize). Smartphone users have often found out the hard way that they have to disable their data services while abroad, or face steep charges when the bill arrives.
AT&T boasts the “best global footprint and the most world phones” on the market, so you can be pretty confident you can use your phone if you so choose. Now, you can save a few bucks with the following:
- New international data discount plans for smartphone and LaptopConnect users.
- Increased global voice and data coverage, including international data roaming coverage in more than 150 countries (up from 145); more countries where discounted data packages apply (up from 41 to 67; and international roaming coverage on more major cruise ships (up from 75 to 120).
- New global GPS navigation with turn-by-turn GPS directions in parts of China, Western Europe and North America.
For more information, check out the AT&T Travel Guide, where you can view rate information for your itinerary of up to 10 international destinations.
AT&T recently introduced new data packages for smartphone and LaptopConnect users, and increased the number of countries in which these packages apply from 41 to 67. That a good size chunk of the the globe. Here are the new options:
- 50 MB of data in 67 countries for an additional $59.99 a month for smartphone users
- 5 GB of data in the U.S. plus 200 MB in 67 countries for $229.99 a month for LaptopConnect users
I know, that’s crazy expensive when you can access the web in most of those places for maybe a buck an hour at an internet cafe.
With the AT&T Navigator Global Edition, you can get GPS service that will work in the U.S. and abroad. Users can opt for verbal or text-based turn-by-turn directions in China, most western European countries, North America and the U.S. Caribbean.
AT&T has the best service on the planet, in which users can place and receive calls in more than 200 countries and access the web in 150. The discounted data roaming package rate applies in Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Barbados, The Bahamas, Belgium, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, China, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Egypt, El Salvador, France, French Guiana, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guatemala, Haiti, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Korea, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Martinique, Mexico, Monaco, Montserrat, The Netherlands, Netherland Antilles, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, South Korea, Spain, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Martin, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caiccos, United Kingdom and Vatican City.