Qantas is routinely listed as one of the top airlines in the world, so you’d expect their Business Class to be top-notch. But the type of seat and service you’ll get depends on whether you’re on a domestic or an international flight – Business Class on Qantas means something different in each of those situations. We’ll go over both in this article.
Qantas is Australia’s national airline, and Australia is one of the countries in the world where flying cross-country takes long enough that paying more for a Business Class seat isn’t a bad idea. So although Qantas’ International Business Class is much nicer than its Domestic Business Class, the domestic service is nothing to sneeze at. Because it’s the nicer of the two, however, we’ll look at International Business first and then note the differences on Domestic Business at the bottom of this article.
Seat & Bed
- International Business available on Boeing 747-400 and Airbus A330-300 aircraft
- Seats are called “Seat Cabins,” with small divider walls when the seat is reclined
- Seat reclines to a lie-flat position (not horizontal)
Food & Beverages
- Menu designed with the help of top Australian chef Neil Perry
- Multi-course restaurant-style meals available, or a la carte dining whenever you want to eat
- Tableware created by Noritake
- 10″ personal video screen for each seat with on-demand movies, TV shows, radio channels, CDs, and video games
- Noise canceling headphones
- Telephone at every seat (use incurs a fee)
- Self-service bar in International Business cabin so you can fix a drink anytime you like
- Complimentary amenity kit designed by Marc Newson with toiletries by Korner
- On some flights, pyjamas by Peter Morrissey are also available
On Qantas Domestic Business, the seats are much wider than coach seats, and they have a foot rest and lumbar support. The meals are much nicer than in coach, and the options for entertainment are actually updated not just once a day but throughout the day in order to give you the most timely information and choices.
In short, Qantas’ Domestic Business Class is essentially like many other domestic Business Class or First Class options on other airlines around the world – a big step up from coach, but not quite your own personal oasis in the sky.
top photo by Altair78