Element Hotels “Eco-Etiquitte” Techniques
I LOVE Element Hotels for their environmentally friendly approach. They have now put out a list of things travelers can do to minimize their environmental impact while traveling.
Here they are, straight from the horse’s mouth:
- Get unplugged: Many people don’t realize that their cell phone charger, laptop cable and other electrical plugs drain power while they are plugged in, even if they are not in use. In fact, only 5% of the power used by an average cell phone charger is used to charge the phone—the other 95% is wasted energy.
- Seize the day: Take advantage of natural light as much as possible—it is as renewing for your spirits as it is for the planet.
- Chill out: Hotels are often climate-controlled, but many will let you adjust the room temperature. Always set the temperature around 68 degrees in winter and 78 degrees in summer to maximize both energy efficiency and personal comfort.
- Lights out: Keeping the bathroom light off overnight makes a big impact—and will help you to sleep better. Traveling with a nightlight is an easy, eco-friendly alternative.
- Conserve while you sleep: ELEMENT’s survey confirmed that only a small percentage of people change their linens every day at home—so why should a hotel be any different? Taking advantage of a hotel’s linen reuse policy is a smart choice.
- Use common sense: Be sure to turn off the lights and TV and make sure faucets are closed before leaving your room.