New York City Design Week (October 15 – 21, 2007)
The City of New York and House & Garden magazine just announced the week of October 15 – 21 will be the first-ever Design Week in New York City. The celebration will include a range of events and activities in film, shopping, museums, galleries, architecture, tours, workrooms and gardens. If you’re in the city, you may want to check it out.
“I urge all New Yorkers and visitors to take advantage of Design Week, a tremendous opportunity to experience the five boroughs’ vibrant arts and culture scenes,” said Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg. “Last year, 44 million tourists came to New York, providing a major boost to our economy. Many come to enjoy the city’s diverse cultural attractions, and Design Week is another example of our commitment to the galleries, museums, theaters and arts centers that enhance the New York experience for all who visit or call New York home.”
Central to Design Week is House and Garden magazine’s Design Happening ’07, an expo showcasing some of the city’s most notable designers. The expo will consist of more than 30 events, ranging from a scavenger hunt to finding the best antique dealers in the city to the 2007 Design Leadership Summit with Murray Moss and Ed Schlossberg.
Design Week events include:
- A panel discussion with executive director of Sustainable South Bronx, Majora Carter; architect Daniel Liebeskind, who won the 2003 competition for the master plan to rebuild the World Trade Center site in Lower Manhattan; environmental activist and House & Garden columnist Bill McKibben and Mike Wallace, co-author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning Gotham: A History of New York City to 1898 and Distinguished Professor of History at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, among others.
- A tour of the Chinese Scholar’s Garden in Staten Island.
- A dinner from the pages of Jay McInerney’s House & Garden column “Uncorked,” hosted by the fiction wunderkind-turned-oenophile, who will offer wine expertise and tastings.
- Childrens’ programming at The Center for Architecture.
- Afternoon of tours and gardening with The Battery Park City Parks Conservancy.
- Cocktails and conversations with author Candace Bushnell, whose books Sex & The City and Lipstick Jungle have been adapted into television series.
- Lunch with Giorgio Deluca, creator and owner of the food lover’s delight Dean & Deluca, at his Manhattan loft.
- A House & Garden auction at Philips de Pury & Company with sound advice on conquering auctionphobia.
- A peek inside several New York City apartments with real estate guru Barbara Corcoran.
- “Meet Me in Midtown” and “Passports to SoHo” (special shopping discounts in Midtown and SoHo for the design obsessed).
- Dinner with fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi and Food Network star and chef Mario Batali at Mizrahi’s design studio.
- Walking tours by the editors of House & Garden revealing their secret resources on everything from public gardens to historical architecture throughout the Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Manhattan and Queens.
For additional details on Design Happening ’07 and for ticket information, please visit designhappening.com.